<VV> too bits on society dues increase.

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 00:37:48 EST 2009

Sounds like a great BOD candidate. Apparently you have the answers and
already have prerequisite anatomy....

Ned

In a message dated 1/27/2009 9:37:19 P.M. Central Standard Time,
cfmann at yahoo.com writes:

So  according to Tim Mahler's post:
"...2004 saw a 500 profit
2005 the loss  was just under $3,000
2006 the loss was over $16,000
2007 operating loss  was around $10,000.
2008 deficit will be over $20,000..."

Looks like  a pretty serious trend to me. But let me back up a second.
I'm 35 years  old, run my own company, have three kids and love my Corvair's
dearly. If I  ran my company like the above quoted, I would not be in business
for myself,  that is for sure. I have all the respect in the world for the
achievements  that all the society members have contributed over the years. I
think the  balance of power between local and national is pretty damn good too.
I think  that CORSA management is run very well.
But let me be frank; raising dues  NOW? to cover deficits that started back
in 2005???!!! If anything is defunct  is the BoD. I look at those numbers and I
see a society that is its death  march.
Specifically, YOUNG members are the future of the club. And these  new people
are ones that cannot afford OTHER CLUBS or other OLD CARS in the  first
place. So some of you are saying, "well, lets be like other clubs."
I  have to pay more?? NO WAY. Screw that. I'm barely getting by now, gas
food,  insurance, mortgage, school, etc etc. All I need then is a Clark's catalog
and  I'll go it alone. And when my Corvair blows up I'll just goto craigslist
or  ebay. Who in the hell needs CORSA anyway.
Reason? Well we sit around and  praise the Communique like its a temple or
something. Its award winning! Big  deal how old is that? Then you turn around
and see the bill to make it happen.  And then you, "ah, well, yeah I guess I'll
have to pay more to have  that."
Others say, "All I get from national is the Communique and I don't  think its
worth $50 a year." As a point of contrast, I see most chapters,  working on a
shoe string budget and printing their newsletter on 8 1/2 x 11 in  black and
white and tossing it into the mailbox. And more often than not the  "filler"
in the newsletter are clips of past tech topics from the  Communique.
Require local members to be apart of CORSA? Forcing people, oh  that's great.
And then this argument about the less Communiques printed  cost more, or the
more circulation the less the bulk rate on postage. No  matter how you slice
it, it still sucks.
Why in hell can't the Communique  be quarterly, and be just be longer with
several articles every quarter. Why  do I have to look at the same events
calender be reprinted every month in the  Communique. The ads in the back are fewer
and fewer every month. Back in 1988,  the ads used to cover almost three to
four pages! Seriously, I know the  Communique is a pride thing, but far crying
out loud, there is absolutely no  reason whatsoever that the rag could not be
quarterly and just be more of it  when it arrives every four months. Think of
it as four Communiques in  one.
Merchandise. This portion alone should be the backbone of revenue, NOT
membership dues. For crying out loud, pay somebody to update the logo, get
something trendy and cool. It needs to be updated BAD. If I bought any apparel  from
CORSA I'd be embarrassed to where it. This stuff belongs on a golf course  in
Sun City. UPDATE THE LOOK MEN. If you really care about the car, and I mean
car enough past your death, then PLEASE, loosen up a little bit and allow the
younger members a chance to revitalize the club. This stoic conservative crap
is going to strangle the society and the noose is only going to get tighter
on  your necks.
BoD members, you guys better hold the line, grow some balls,  and cut the
budget, invest in new graphics and logos, get some apparel that we  can wear and
sell, and double, no, triple the price of the NEW TECH GUIDE, and  CUT the
communique to a quarterly or semi monthly gig, and make focus on the  paperless
internet age to communicate and encourage the hobby. The CORSA  website is so
awesome and new features are endless in reaching out to existing  and new
members.
Raise dues on me, NOW? I'm out.
And it will mean even  less for the rest of you later.
Wake up people. I want CORSA to succeed and  APPEAL to a new generation, but
acting like this will just cause its untimely  death.
-Respectfully,
Chris "aka cfm" Mann
69 monza coupe 140/4
69  monza convertible  110/pg