<VV> Running for CORSA BoD

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Jan 28 12:26:12 EST 2009

All:  Ned said: "I'm also like to put a plug in for candidates for the CORSA
board. In the past, there have been very few folks willing to run (how do
you think I got elected?). I can say that my term has been eye opening. I
would recommend it to everyone. Of course you have to be a CORSA member to
run, but then all of you already are, right?"

*******************

All:

First. Ned, you were the best of available choices.  Thanks for serving.

Scott posted the job description for the CORSA BoD.  I don't remember if he
included any comments about the co-position of CPF BoD member.  It may not
exist.  Go read the job discription carefully, and think in terms of time
and dollars to fulfill those responsibilities.

This may be a reality check for some of you.  Have you thought about what it
cost, in time and money, to be on the BoD?  It was hours per week when I was
on the combined BoD's.

But lets just deal with the money.  I was on the BoD for one term.  I
attended all three of the conventions during that term: Tahoe, Daytona and
Chicago.  Truth be told, if I hadn't been on the BoD, I would have only
attended Chicago, and only for a couple days instead of the whole week.  It
is a couple hours driving distance from me.

So what did it cost in dollars me and my family for me to fulfill my
commitment to CORSA and CPF? I don't actually know, and don't want to know.
But figure airfare from central Illinois, about 18 days motel expense and
food for the same 18 days and it turns into some real money.  Probably more
than 3K.  This is an out of pocket expense not figured into our normal cash
flow.  At Ventura, how many of the BoD members were not there, or did not
stay the complete week?

And I've all but forgot that being Chairman of the Competition Committee in
the early '80's came with the expense of time and dollars.

If you want to do an enlightening study, get your Communique out and list
all the people who have served of the BoD.  I did that once.  Most of us
only served one term...or less, and many times, attendance at the BoD
meetings were not 100%.  Why....?  Real life gets in the way, like
unexpected job requirements, but I suspect sometimes non-attendance was the
result of a hard look at the check book balance.

Being on the BoD's is not easy or cheap.  Those who do it repeatedly, like
Seth, Sarah and Tony, to name three who come to mind, have my admiration.
And deeper pockets than I.

So, while some in the cheap seats (you know who you are) can vocalize about
BoD members and actions - or inactions - they take, you may need to express
some appreciation for their willingness to try.

Or maybe put your money where you mouth is.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice