<VV> Membership Count and Publications

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Jan 29 12:41:49 EST 2009

All:  I've recently asked if CORSA leadership if they know
	1. How many CORSA members are not chapter members
	2. How many chapter members are not CORSA members.
The answer is "no" on both questions.  Chapters have not volunteered the
info and CORSA hasn't push them to provide it per what I think the chapter
plan requires.  If so, this is a failure of responsibility on both sides.

According to best available info, today CORSA membership is about the same
as in '78.  CORSA membership peaked in about '82.  This membership count is
probably related to the age of the cars.  In '78, all of them were 18 to 10
years old.  By '82, all of them were between 22 years and 14 years old.  It
is unusual for most cars to last that long on the road, and/or for people to
keep them that long on the road.  By the mid '80's, Corvairs generally
stopped being daily drivers and become toy/hobby cars...or throw away
junkers.

Someone commented about Corvair people being to independent.  Statistically,
in about 82, that independence of going against common wisdom became
apparent: die hard independent thinking people are exposed...for what we
are.  We like Corvairs because...they are different and uncommon.  Which
makes us different and uncommon.  Taken to extremes, think of long hair,
body piercing and tattoos as evidence of human kind wanting to be unique and
different from all others.  But we have just crossed over into why are we
who we are realm of sociology and theology.

As far as the early publications, the first newsletters were mimeographed,
but I do not remember the frequency or by whom.  At some point Tony Fiore
did the Quarterlies and Scotty Smathers did the monthly news letter.  I have
most of them stashed away.  I don't remember if the monthly newsletter was
called the Communique.  Like Tim Colson, I have the curse of a historian to
wit: you've got to have all you can find.  I'd have to go to the basement
and unwrap the plastic to tell you what the monthly was called.  Doesn't
really matter.  CORSA dropped the Quarterly and went to slick paper
Communique at some point, but I don't remember exactly when.  The change may
have been concurrent with the first management group we got, which would be
about 1978/79.  Hal and Al were in place for the '79 Detroit Convention, and
the late and much missed Herb Berkman was the new president because the
previous one bailed right after signing the contracts with the management
and publishing folks.  Go figure.

I think Wayne Stutts idea of charging a fee to view cars is good and should
be investigated.  When Bloomington Gold Corvette was actually in Bloomington
IL, common folk paid a fee to enter the fair grounds and could view
everything.  Don't know what they do wherever they are now.  If they are
still at St Charles, IL, where our '01 convention was held, controlling the
perimeter could be a issue.  Might be able to also walk the perimeter during
the autocross with a basket for contributions.  Flash your registration
badge or pay something.  Gee, that would have got me at a couple one day
trips to Conventions!  How about that!

Methinks if I were voting, I'd go with chapter members must be CORSA members
and a dues increase, provided CORSA leadership buckets down to the future
membership issue and decides what CORSA should be and be during in 10 years.
We are the only orphan car club in the world.  How are others doing it?

Oh. One other thing.  Someone has suggested forming alliances (maybe
merging?) with other (Chevrolet) clubs.  Someone will have to check the
by-laws first on that subject.  Me, I can't think of any of them I'd want to
be part of.  Nor do I think they would want us.  We are to weird...um, I
mean...independent.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice