<VV> Piston Pin Fit - Followup

Geoffrey Johnson GeJohnson at salud.unm.edu
Thu Jan 29 09:46:38 EST 2009

A while back I had asked about a set of pistons I had that were missing the wrist pins.    Got several good suggestions.
The key was not spending more then a new set of pistons  would cost to get these in shape.   They are low mileage TRW's so no sense not trying to use them.

So I have built several other motors in the meantime with new sets.    I am doing another though and decided to save these.   I took them into one of the more reputable shops in town along with a a dozen odd pins that fit tight and asked what they could do.     They rebuilt the rods,  and correctly fit and pressed the pistons.   They ended up doing mild honing to the pin bores and polishing on the pins.    All this in the end was 150$.   Given I have normally paid $40 to have them install a set of pistons, the balance was for this work.     In the end I have good usable set and can save the money for yet another motor.

Here is a pic:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/3235949871_84b5f4b591.jpg

-Geoff Johnson