<VV> attracting youngER members

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 30 18:20:43 EST 2009

Hi Bill,

Good thoughts for some (few) potential new members I suppose.  It certainly
does not fit my own (past) scenario...

In the early '60s I was in college and had a couple of mid '30s Fords.
Restored a '36 rumble seat convert and had a used (and abused) '35 2 door.
The '35 became an engagement ring.  Not long after, babies started coming
along and despite the time and money spent and the love for the '36, I had
to let it go in 1967.

When I got back into old cars it was after the kids (4) were pretty much
done with their college and the attendant expenses.  This time around, it
was Corvairs.  I was probably in my late 40s by then.

Considering that (in general) folks are marrying later and having babies
later in life than we (most of us) did back in the '60s, that money
situation (to afford these toys) may not come around for them until their
late 50s or beyond.  I suspect that most folks currently in their 40s are
busy with raising a family and helping to put the kids through school.

Now, I'm not saying that we should not talk with such folks, just that the
"market" may not be so large as your note might indicate.  I've found that
the best way (for me anyway) to meet interested (car oriented) folks is to
be out and about in a Vair.

I pretty much drive one or the other all summer and attend "cruise ins" held
by various towns in my area.  When "parked" at a cruise night, stay with the
car and talk with the spectators.  Seems like almost everyone has had an
uncle, father, even grandfather had a Corvair and they have fond memories.
Be ready to put them onto one or two that you know are for sale at the time.
Also have some parts catalogs and a few CCs to be able to show them the
support that is available.  The one on one works best for me in terms of
recruiting new owners/members.

Later, JR