<VV> New Members

DENNIS STEPHENSON Pzkw3j at msn.com
Fri Jan 30 19:06:34 EST 2009

    One of the best ways to get new members is to show them. And what better way than to team up with other car clubs. It is the old adage of "I will scratch your back IF you scratch mine" If you have a show that only has one kind of car, you will only get those interested in that kind of car. But when you have all kinds of cars at the same show, you get all kinds of people. I went to a show that was like this, and only a certain model was being judged all the rest were there just to show off their cars. Even the public was allowed to vote for their favorite car. But only for the car model that was being judged. OK so it cost me a buck to vote on my favorite. Even if I was not a big fan of that model of car it was still fun to vote. As a lot of sweat, blood, and heartache goes into restoring any car and they should be applauded for their efforts.
  I just have to tell this one story.
I took "Lil Red" (65 500 4dr) to go pick up my daughter from High School one day. When she saw the car sitting in the drive, she had a few of her friends come over and have a look. It was not long before there were over 50 kids wanting to see her. Most of them had never seen a Corvair for real. Most of them did not believe that Chevrolet even made the car. But when they saw the "Bow Tie" on the front emblem of the car they still were not sure. Most of them wanted to see the engine, so I opened up the hood. They were shocked as the engine was not there, just the spare tire. I told them that it used the spare engine in the trunk. Most had a good laugh and walked around to the back of car to see the engine. Most were fascinated by the flat floor, with no hump. A few of them had sit in the car just to see what it would feel like, not having that big hump running down the middle. A few of them asked where could they find one and how much. Every time I take "Lil Red" to drop off or pick up my daughter from school there are still a few kids that have to stop and take a look at her. So don't count out the high school kids just yet. They just need to see one first.
    I believe that the only way for a Corvair to be truly happy, is to be out on the open road. Or at a car show with others.
    Getting new members is not that hard. Keeping new members is the hard part. If you do nothing to keep their interest. It is not long before they are gone. Even us old timers loose interest when the whole club does nothing. We need to keep the spirit alive and growing. Car shows are not the only way to keep peoples interest. Road Rallies, Econo Runs, Club drives, and hosting Tech events are just a few of the ways our club is trying to keep the spirit alive. Another way to help keep up the spirit is to attend other Corvair clubs events. Everyone needs to support each other as well as CORSA.
THANKS
Dennis J. Stephenson    Boise Basin Corvair Club
65 500 4dr "Lil Red"
65 500 4dr Daughters car
64 Monza Coupe (Modified)
61 Corvan95