<VV> White Gas

Mike Jacobi mvjacobi at comcast.net
Thu Jul 2 10:56:39 EDT 2009

--
With some trepidation I'll jump in here.   Back in the 60s pretty much all
pump gas meant for cars was leaded.  Some gas stations had a
pump...sometimes worked by hand, that dispensed "white gas" which had no
lead.  As I recall, it was considerably cheaper than the leaded gas cars
used.  It was, I think, meant for agricultural machines...harvesters,
tractors rtc. That had low compression engines.  It was also specified for
Coleman lanterns and stoves, as the lead in regular "car gas" would mess up
those camping things.

The Conoco station I got mine at also had a hand pump Kerosene or "coal oil"
dispenser.

The neighbor had a 60 vair that he had rigged a small container of regular
leaded gas to start the car with, then a petcock to switch over to the main
tank of the cheaper white gas to do his regular driving.

Mike in Michigan