<VV> Stupid Driving (Little Corvair)

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 17:00:10 EDT 2009

> The attitude here in Obamaland has become (over the last couple of
> decades) more and more synonymous with that of the Europeans.

This is very interesting, because my take on it is that we are importing
risk aversion and a litigation culture from the USA!! In NC, where I keep my
Vair, most of the country roads have a 45 mph limit, which is so slow as to
be idiotic. And you had 55 mph all through the Reagan era (on INTERSTATES,
for Chrissake!!). So you can't even blame the political Left for all the
stupidities! I remember, the first time I came to the USA, wondering why all
the cars had speedos that only read to 85, when the average European one
read to 140. Presumably it was because they really only needed to read to
55.

And guess what? Our national 60 mph limit is now being lowered to 50 on most
country roads. And guess where they got the idea from?

Not trying to be inflammatory, but it really does seem to me that it was in
the USA where the lawyers and the suing first got a toe-hold, and that this
is at the root of a lot of the idiocies that we face (some of the
'justifications' for our idiotic speed limits are being given as councils'
concern at being sued by (e.g.) someone whose kid got run over, because they
hadn't taken all the steps within the power to improve road safety).

Corvair content: guess who started all that? And guess which car was the
object of his ire. Surely, this whole thing was started by our Ralphie...?

Cheers

Alan