<VV> What have you done to stop your engine from pinging?

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Jul 6 08:50:24 EDT 2009

"...Cutting out the head gasket step - without step-cutting the  piston.
Agressive deflashing of the heads with a 1/8" drill. Approximately  10.5:1
compression 140 engine with no pinging..."

Yes, forgot to mention: de-flashing cooling fins is mandatory. Also, I
believe (and perhaps other experts will chime in) 110s are the most likely to
knock and ping, while 140s are the most forgiving. Both my tight quench
engines  are 110s; and, following reducing the quench distance to .032, both had
 combustion chambers set to 9.5:1 (One by cutting opposite quench side top
of  forged pistons, the other by removing material from the heads away from
the  quench area; both were final Cced, and both methods seem to work
equally well.).  Chose not to get to aggressive with compression ratio as: 1) both
have AC; 2)  Are Powerglide-equipped; and are driven in hot, Florida. Also,
the 67 coupe has  a 327 diff, partially compensated for with a converter
modified for a slightly  higher stall speed. This vehicle is also driven much
leaner than  stock, consistently just a "tick either side of 14.7 (as
verified,  real-time, using wide band O2 meters).

Regards,
Mike Mauro
**************Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.