<VV> Fuel line problems, vapor lock

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 09:59:52 EDT 2009

The problems with your 1962 conking out is identical to what happened to many carburetored vehicles when the state allowed the sale of E-10 in the spring of 2008.  Is ethanol being sold where you are?  If there is a weakness in your fuel delivery, E-10 may make it a major problem. Two other corvair owners and myself developed 'pinging' and vapor lock under load. Like others have suggested, check every component of your fuel system. I would go with the electric fuel pump, if you do have ethanol. We installed three of them with great results by eliminating the 'stalling under load' (ex: hill climbing,accelerating) on all three corvairs.  I do add a tetra-ethyl lead additive called Max Lead 2000 to the ethanol, that has the effect of raising the boiling point of the fuel by about 30-60 degrees F, depending on mixture. This additive allows me to keep the timing at stock. The other alternative is to replace the mechanical fuel pump, if the current one is
 wearing out.