<VV> July 7th...the Corvair is 50!

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Tue Jul 7 13:14:21 EDT 2009

I hope you'll take a moment to think about Corvair 00769W100001, the first production Corvair that rolled off the Willow Run assembly line 50 years ago today. Next to October 2nd, today is probably the most important date in Corvair history..For many years July 7th has appeared in Vair trivia contests and people who really knew Corvair history have held it dear. It's heartening to see more recognition of this important date.
Willow Run management considered July 7th the true beginning of the Corvair, and it certainly was from their perspective. Every July 7th from 1963 up they issued press releases and staged birthday events. The topper was in 1965 when America;s Junior Miss went to the plant and blew out the candles on a birthday cake that bore six Corsa emblems on it instead of candles, for the Vair's sixth birthday.
I consider today to be a 50th Anniversary date....but whether you think Birthday or Anniversary, it's just semantics..You can't ignore history....this is a landmark 50 year date for the Corvair!
Dave Newell