<VV> Sucked Napkin

G & M Szuch egszuch at charter.net
Fri Jul 10 10:12:43 EDT 2009

My thoughts on the napkin would be to find out where every piece of it went. If not, you may cause a hot spot that could cause localized overheating and possible damage.
I made a dune buggy years back from a Corvair and was proudly polishing the shroud and IECO 4bbl manifold while leaving the engine idling. A portion of the rag got sucked into the engine and since it was a small piece (fan ripped it), I thought I was OK. Long story short, the engine developed a misfire which was due to a dropped an intake valve seat. Guess where the rag was when I tore the engine down to make the repair? Yep, it blocked the air flow in the area of that particular valve seat in the head. The rag was slightly charred in the area that it contacted the head so things ran hot in that location.
I know there's a difference in combustion temperatures between paper and cloth (type dependent) but if you can't guarantee the paper has burned up, I'd get the cover off and find it. Good luck.
Gary Szuch
66 Corsa