<VV> New heads, an approach...

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Jul 12 20:25:11 EDT 2009

I don't particularly agree - I think the market for a revised head is
almost totally comprised of people who want to do other things to the
engine.  It certainly seems that the people who debate this fall in
that category, but maybe I'm missing something.  I think also that a
lot comes down to price - if the price is close to a decent rebuilt
140 head, then you'll get a number of people who will put them on
fairly stock engines.  If the price is double the cost of a stock
head, then your market is the same group who are looking at FI,
Webers, serious turbos, etc.  BTW, I had a 110 head done recently -
with all new hardware and seats - for $400.  I can find out how much a
140 head is, but I'd be surprised if it were over $600.  I'll be
*amazed* (but happy :-) if somebody can make a replacement head for
less than $1200 per head complete.

In any case, anyone who really seriously wants to pursue this should
do some real market research.

--Bryan