<VV> New heads, an approach...

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Jul 12 20:30:51 EDT 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 3:41 PM, JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

> IT seems that adding an integral manifold would be not much more
> work, but adding a bolt on manifold to use stock carbs or a stock
> turbo setup would be a lot more work, plus add a failure point
> absent in the stock design. It would definitely be 4-1s, like the
> 140 heads. The turbo guys can either blank the extra mounting pads
> off, or mill them off and weld the hole shut, or put a Welch plug in
> there, etc.
>
> Adding enough 'meat' to mill off this manifold and add a Weber or
> other setup would not be much more machine work over machining just
> the mounting pads for such a manifold.
>
> Once the pattern is made, it's no extra anything to cast an integral
> manifold. Furthermore, for the folks wanting a bolt on, the only
> finish machine work is boring and facing the carb pads. Given the
> complexity of an air cooled head like this, the manifold is no big
> deal. And we're not giving up a thing for the hot rod guys.
>
> I get the feeling there's a GOOD market for a head that cools
> better, makes more power, has a more detonation resistant combustion
> chamber, etc., over stock, as in a FAR larger market than just the
> guys who want to build an American Porsche engine.

You think so? (A GOOD market, that is) I agree; for $1,500 for a PAIR
of heads, you could sell quite a few sets. But your price will be much
more than that. By the time you get these on the market, and price
them where they have to be, I think the market will be quite small.

Here's an example. What does it cost to get good, deep, oversize seats
put in a 140 head? It must be $500 for a pair of heads, (I paid $280
for mine in 1986) and they still have to be ground and lapped. $500 -
how many guys do it when they build an engine? Some do, but not many.
How many will spend the $$$$$ that these heads will cost? How much
WILL they cost - not $1,500; closer to $3,000-4,000 a pair???

We've gone over this before on FastVairs. I think it's great that this
is being seriously researched but, I think the market is very small at
the price that will have to be charged for them. I hope I'm wrong.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina