<VV> New heads, an approach...

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Jul 12 20:19:32 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Underwood <tony.underwood at cox.net>
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Sent: Sun, Jul 12, 2009 5:54 pm
Subject: Re: <VV> New heads, an approach...

At 03:25 PM 7/12/2009, Bruce Schug wrote:

>I understand your rational for this, but I wonder, it seems like
>eliminating the cast-on manifold would simplify the head casting quite
>a bit. This might be reason enough to make the head without intake
>manifolds. Then, separate manifolds could be made for a variety of
>induction systems.

Anyone who actually acquires a pair of these heads is likely going to
have their own ideas on induction.

Anyone with a mig welder and a garage equipped with standard gearhead
junk and some time could cook up their own style of intake to  fit a
head with nothing but flange faces instead of a cast-in intake.

>>>Yep, and they can do that. But the bolt on head market is important. If one were interested in recouping their investment.

>If you cast the manifold on the head, somebody's still going to make a
>manifold for

...and end up cutting the cast-on intake off anyway.

>>>The bolt on guys won't! And I'd be willing to bet that there would be more heads sold in a bolt on as is configuration than the all out hot rod American Porsche motor versions!

Overall, it seems simpler to me to cast the heads sans intakes, then
>offer at least a manifold for Webers, 6-1 4bbl, and 4-1's. As
>expensive as this head would be, I doubt that many would use 2-1's
>with it.

Agreed.   If someone is dedicated enough to buy such heads they're
unlikely to have any issues with picking out a separate intake to
match their carburetion of choice.    Or, they would be making their
own.   I've seen more than one home-made tunnel ram on dragrace cars
made from exhaust tubing.

>>>And they can still do that! But most guys out there would simply like to bolt on a set of better heads, and that's that.

tony..