<VV> Carburetor Heat System

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 12 21:36:02 EDT 2009

Dave Ziegler wrote:

> But, the FC's had removable plate in the sidewalls to increase or
> decrease cooling air flow.

I am familiar with the engine compartment baffles, #3797594, same part
fits both sides on both FC's and wagons; however, I fail to see how it
affects cooling air flow in this manner, nor have I ever seen any oem
instructions as to it's function.  I am of the opinion that we have
simply considered that this must be it's purpose, without any supporting
documentation.

I would certainly appreciate any reference to authoritative material
concerning the purpose of this "baffle".  I think it is more to control
the direction of the air flow, thus the name "baffle", but wonder
"Why?"  Noise issues do come to mind, but the baffles do come fitted to
the pick-ups, don't they?  Maybe they are an attempt to get cooler air
to circulate throughout the upper engine compartment  and to the fuel
pump area to help with vapor lock issues.  I just don't know.

Wondering,

Bill Strickland