<VV> new heads, VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 54, Issue 53

Alan Roehrich idoxlr8 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 12 21:30:29 EDT 2009

I looked into the prospect of making heads. I talked to three casting companies, and three shops capable of machining the castings. It is easier and cheaper to cast the heads without an integral intake.

No one is likely to buy a set of heads and put 1 carburetor on each head. Some people MIGHT buy a set of heads and put 2 carburetors on each head. Odds are people buying heads will either run Webers/Zeniths, IR fuel injection, or some form of common plenum setup. We looked at casting the heads with a nice intake flange only. Then casting a plenum for the two carburetors for a 140, a IR manifold for the Weber/Zenith setup, that could also be used to make an IR fuel injection manifold, and a blank plenum that could be modified. All six companies felt that was the way to go.

The ports and the chamber were thoroughly revised and modernized. We also were looking at casting in bosses to mount a shaft rocker setup, we felt there were pieces already available that could be used. I even had a company lined up to make valves.

Considering the probable market volume, we figured a set of really good heads would cost close to $3K, at best, because there just wasn't going to be any real volume.

There was even a group like fastvairs formed for the head project, but I killed it off because there was practically zero interest in actually carrying through the project.