<VV> new heads, VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 54, Issue 53

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Tue Jul 14 09:15:57 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Roehrich" <idoxlr8 at earthlink.net>

Subject: Re: <VV> new heads, VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 54, Issue 53

> I looked into the prospect of making heads. I talked to three casting
> companies, and three shops capable of machining the castings. It is easier
> and cheaper to cast the heads without an integral intake.
>
> No one is likely to buy a set of heads and put 1 carburetor on each head.
> Some people MIGHT buy a set of heads and put 2 carburetors on each head.
> Odds are people buying heads will either run Webers/Zeniths, IR fuel
> injection, or some form of common plenum setup. We looked at casting the
> heads with a nice intake flange only. Then casting a plenum for the two
> carburetors for a 140, a IR manifold for the Weber/Zenith setup, that
> could also be used to make an IR fuel injection manifold, and a blank
> plenum that could be modified. All six companies felt that was the way to
> go.
>
> The ports and the chamber were thoroughly revised and modernized. We also
> were looking at casting in bosses to mount a shaft rocker setup, we felt
> there were pieces already available that could be used. I even had a
> company lined up to make valves.
>
> Considering the probable market volume, we figured a set of really good
> heads would cost close to $3K, at best, because there just wasn't going to
> be any real volume.
>
> There was even a group like fastvairs formed for the head project, but I
> killed it off because there was practically zero interest in actually
> carrying through the project.
*********
Hi ... did you get into any discussion on warpage, either on castings, or
billet machined heads.

I have thought that perhaps a great advantage of the 6 individual " pot "
heads, or button heads, might be a minimum warpage problem.  Warpage could
be disastrous financially for a small run of head sets, if the one piece
castings warped about 1/8 inch at each end.

Another advantage of button heads in competition could be more readily
repair of just 1 or 2 cylinders.

Another advantage of button heads ( or in fact even machining the 1-piece
slab heads from bar ... ) ....   it is a lot easier to change a program than
to make a new mold, which requires machining anyway .....  and I would
expect about 8 iterations of a new head before turning out a version that *
WOULD * appeal to a larger market.

I am not so sure that a $3000 price tag would be too much for a truly * WOW
* set of heads .....  I do know that dropping valve seats, on an engine that
you just overhauled at $3K for regular parts and labor .... might be worth
an extra $2000 or so, depending on how far you are from home... (g)...

I like to compare how much to spend on a corvair compared to buying a nice
used NEON, which is a neat zippy little car, but doesn[t rate a 2nd look
from a pretty girl ....

Oh, the button heads might be able to be run on a large cnc lathe, that
could make the actual production much cheaper, as opposed to needing a large
cnc Milling center for the 1 piece heads, either to clean up castings, or
machined from bar.

The big advantage with the lathe is that with bar feed, you have something
to hold the part you are making.  With a mill approach, there is a large
expense ( and headache ) in trying to figure out how to hold that funny
shaped part.

********
In our toy car business, we have run thousands of button heads for the
little engines, mostly all hemi-heads, with  various double bubble, tapered,
low compression, high squish ... just a minute or so changing programs for
different test heads.

*********
I think a good setup for the new heads would be 3 injectors per side, with a
central mounted air throttle, or 6 Mikuni s, with hydraulic or pnuematic
linkages on the throttle bodies.

just some thoughts, ken campbell, deltawerkes