<VV> Forward control side baffles

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 01:13:49 EDT 2009

Bruce Gwyther finally got it right!  The sheet metal baffles on FC's are
there to direct the icy winter air from hitting the carbs directly and
it routes the air toward the rear of the engine where it mixes with the
hot air coming up from the openings in the shrouds.  I remember once
traveling in Pete Koehler's Rampside in wet winter weather and every 30
miles or so the carbs would ice up and kill the engine.  We stopped at a
turnpike oasis where I bought some 3/4 heater hose for a water pumper,
shoved it up the heat doors under the engine and the other end into the
air cleaner openings.  The hot air from the engine then warmed the
incoming air enough to prevent the carb icing problem and we went
happily on our way.  I would imagine that only FC's up in the winter
areas needed the baffles so anyone in the south probably didn't get
them.
Clark Hartzel