<VV> Oh what a night

dennis dorogi dfamily at fairpoint.net
Thu Jul 16 13:47:29 EDT 2009

Last night my daughter and I attended a cruise in at the local NAPA store in appreciation for customer loyalty.  It was a nice night and over 100 cars were there.  I drove my 65 4door (corvair content).  The usual cars were there but one stood out.  It was a Ford (sorry) GT a powerful  machine (500 hp) that had many looking at it in awe.  I know I did.

The NAPA store is located on a two lane busy north-south highway but somewhat out in the country.  As I was talking to a friend I noticed a car going south at a blistering speed - too fast to even recognize it.   A few minutes later it went by going north again at an incredible speed.  I thought it was some kid showing off to all the people at the cruise-in.  Sometimes people peel out when leaving but keep the speed down.

When I left I noticed many emergency vehicles with lights flashing on the north side of the highway so I turned south to avoid the problem but couldn't help but wonder if the problem was caused by the speeding red, tiny car. Later that evening my daughter found out it was the Ford GT that rolled, totalling the car.  The driver and a female friend survived because of the air bags. Rumor has it that the owner of the car (and the NAPA store) let a good friend try out the car. That car can go 0-100 in 7.4 seconds with a top speed of 205 mph.  And this "friend" was trying it out.  Oh, what a mistake, what a night.

Well, back to the Sagan spyder convertible.  I just finished a rotissorie that is going to make working on this rusty car alot easier.

Dennis Dorogi