<VV> Engine Operating Temps

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Fri Jul 24 13:41:57 EDT 2009

Smitty Says:  Steve there is obviously going to be a correlation between head and oil.  When one goes up then the other goes up.  Not in any special ratio though.  In a well de flashed NA engine your numbers are about what I would expect in very high temps with the lower shrouds on.
   I believe keeping the shrouds on to prevent early engine wear is a subject that has more than one answer.  If you are going to jump in the car when it is 40 degrees out (or colder) and hammer the hell out of it, then it matters not if the shrouds are on or not.  You are going to hurt it.  If you get in the car when it is 100 degrees out and drive away at street speeds, you aren't hurting a thing.  I can almost guarantee a 20 degree oil temp drop by removing the shrouds.
   I take my shrouds off in the spring when it gets warm out and and put them back on when I think I might enjoy the heat.  I have built and run the life out of at least 3 130K mile engines and all have had shrouds done the same way.  People a lot smarter than me have found that terminal damage has been done to dino oil at 270 degrees.  At 260 you can just about expect normal oil change interval to be safe.  So your choice.  Worry about early failure of your engine because your oil takes a few minutes to come up to operating temp, or worry about the oil taking the bearings out because it was over heated for a few minutes.
One more opinion.  Stop worrying about some arbitrary number of oil temp warming up.  Think about what 150 degrees is like.  Think your pinkey could survive being immersed in that?  Your oil will be fine at that temp until you get out on the interstate.