<VV> Brakes grabbing

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 26 10:58:38 EDT 2009

I put the Monza up in the air to work on a couple of items.  The
major item is the brake problem.  The history on the brakes is: all
of the shoes have about 5 thousand miles on them except for the front
drivers that was replaced about 500 miles ago due to a leaking wheel
cylinder that was messed up by a rookie mechanic (that would be me -
I now know not to apply the brakes before reinstalling the drums).
Except for the master cylinder conversion, turning of the drums, the
overhaul of all but the driver's side wheel cylinder and installation
of the rear shoes, all of the work has been done by me.  The other
work was done by a club member.  All of the wheel cylinders have been
overhauled, and as far as I know at this moment, are not leaking (I
may learn different when I take off the drums, but I really don't
suspect this as the cause).  The drums were turned (on advise before
I knew better).  The master has been changed to a dual cylinder and
yes, it was bench bled.  There has been no loss of fluid from the
reservoir.  The fluid was bled and changed to DOT 4 about 500 miles
ago.  All of the hoses have been replaced 5000 miles ago in front,
and 500 miles ago in the rear.  The symptoms are : The rear drivers
wheel rolls free from 9-3 o'clock as observed on the valve stem and
has drag from 3-9, the rear passenger is free from 6-11 and drags
hard from 11-6, the front drivers is free from 7-12 and drags very
slightly from 12-7, and the front passenger is free from 7-11 and
drags slightly from 11-7.  I haven't removed the tires and drums
yet.  What could be the cause and what should I be looking for when I
remove the drums?

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110

The Original Four Door Sports Car