<VV> Brakes grabbing

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jul 26 13:45:32 EDT 2009

Do the brakes grab in service?

Most drum brakes I have worked on over the years (on many different
types of cars) had this slight drag at different points when the brake
shoes were adjusted correctly. If there is no drag, usually the pedal is
low. And usually the drag is not consistent when turning the drum by
hand. What you describe sounds like normal operation. Others will weigh
in with a different opinion. If anything, I would just loosen the rear
passenger star wheel by one tooth. But of course as long as the self
adjusters are working, they will readjust to the tightness they like.

You can check for out of round on the drums, but if the pedal isn't
pulsating, don't go looking for trouble.

Now if the brakes grab in service, then look for a problem.

Frank DuVal