<VV> Brakes grabbing

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 26 17:07:53 EDT 2009

 > The symptoms are : The rear drivers wheel rolls free from 9-3 o'clock
... and has drag from 3-9 ...

You are describing a slight brake drag, which IMO & experience is normal
drum brake behavior with self-adjusting brakes and would not be normally
considered an issue.  This is different than "grabbing", which is an
issue.  A serious drag would be if you couldn't turn the wheel a full
revolution by hand, and that also would be an issue.

Incorrect installation of the primary and secondary shoes only shows up
in visual inspection, or  as abnormal shoe wear and as reduced overall
braking performance.

I agree with Frank in all parts of his post:

>From: Frank DuVal <corvairduval at cox.net>
>
>Do the brakes grab in service?
>
>Most drum brakes I have worked on over the years (on many different
>types of cars) had this slight drag at different points when the brake
>shoes were adjusted correctly. If there is no drag, usually the pedal is
>low. And usually the drag is not consistent when turning the drum by
>hand. What you describe sounds like normal operation. Others will weigh
>in with a different opinion. If anything, I would just loosen the rear
>passenger star wheel by one tooth. But of course as long as the self
>adjusters are working, they will readjust to the tightness they like.
>
>You can check for out of round on the drums, but if the pedal isn't
>pulsating, don't go looking for trouble.
>
>Now if the brakes grab in service, then look for a problem.

If it don't need fixing, don't break it, which is another way of saying,
if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!

Bill Strickland