<VV> Corvair a miss? MT thinks so

David B. Neale david.neale3 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 27 13:06:47 EDT 2009

If Angus McKenzie knew well of what he writes, he would not have stopped at 'Y' for Yugo, but would have surely continued to 'Z', with the Zaporozhets.  That little Soviet-built cutie, in its last incarnations, was modelled on an early-model Corvair,
(although much smaller), didn't look bad at all, and had a rear-mounted, air-cooled V4 engine of something like 750 cc.  There are still many thousands buzzing around The Ukraine and Russia.

You can see some early and late-model Zaporozhets by clicking the following link;

www.readrussia.com/blog/made-in-russia/00067/

>>Motor Trend editor-in-chief, Angus McKenzie, kicks off the magazine's 60th
anniversary with his "The Big Picture" column on page 8 of the  September
'09 issue in which he brags; "We've driven the hits--GTO, Camaro,  Taurus,
Accord--and the misses--Edsel, Corvair, Pinto, Yugo."

BTW, not to engage in an ad hominem counter-attack but that guy's always
looked like biker white trash to me!  Seriously, have you seen his photo
accompanying the column?!<<