<VV> Gas gauge accuracy

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Jul 28 22:49:44 EDT 2009

At 02:55 AM 7/28/2009, J R Read_HML wrote:
>If I recall correctly, the resistance element (LM) in the tank has 2
>(maybe 3?) coils to it.

Nope, it's a single wire-wound rheostat, one coil wrapped around a
nonconductive form.

>Should one of those coils fail, the reading will be too high on the
>gauge with a full tank.

Only one resistor element, so if it fails anywhere other than at the
point where the resistance wire is crimped onto the lug exiting the
sending unit, the gauge will read normally until the sending unit
wiper reaches the break, then the gauge reads over-full.

>BUT, it will work (the dash gauge) close to normal below at about
>1/3 of a tank.  Correct?

It will work normally until the wiper reaches the break in the
resistance wire.

>It will provide the impression of good gas mileage for about 1/2 a
>tank - and then... What the H happened...
>
>Maybe EM is the same?  Just at a different OHM range?

The earlies are a bit more than half the resistance of the lates,
although exact figures are kinda moot; I've yet to find two of the
same vintage that read alike with an ohmmeter.   I recently went
through several late sending units (looking for an early) and the
three measured between 85 and 100 ohms, give or take an ohm or
two.    The early I ended up with came out to about 50 ohms.

>Also... I think that you meant to say ONE of two things.

Yep...   ;)   My bad...

>>Incidentally, if the gauge reads above full it's likely being caused
>>by two things:

tony..    considering cutting/welding a section out of a later fuel
tank onto my '60 tank so I can use a '61-64 sending unit that will
read correctly