<VV> Law moving thru the North Carolina legislature

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 11:15:55 EDT 2009

> Perhaps, but so far, all I've heard about are TRUE junkers. Not classics

Most classics were 'junkers' once (how much was *any* Corvair worth in June
1969?) and lots of today's 'junkers' will become classics.

Trouble is, we don't know until it is too late which junkers are going to
turn into classics, so the best course of action is not to destroy them. But
as far as our politicians are concerned, all cars are junkers. They have
just brought in an ill-advised scrappage programme where the government pays
you to scrap any car over 10 years old, and then they put a destruction
order on it and give you a 2000 GBP cheque towards a new car (which has to
be bought at a dealer, and it is really easy to get more than 2000 GBP off
*without* scrappage, if you search around.

Predictably, although most of the cars being junked are not rare or
valuable, I have already read a couple of horror stories about valuable cars
that were in the hands of ignorant owners being traded in to be junked.

And like most laws, the politicians haven't written it well, and so there is
no way the junked car can be bought out of the scrappage, even if it is
priceless.

I had better stop typing now, because the anger is welling up inside me...

Cheers

Alan