<VV> Carb base leak

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 1 17:55:17 EDT 2009

<snip>
Don't forget all 64 and up carbs have a built in vacuum leak at the
base of the carb on purpose.

I received this reply to my carb base leak problem.  I admit that I
don't know a lot ...yet, but I've never heard this before.  If it's
true, then perhaps the 100-200 rpm increase that I see when I spray
carb cleaner at the base of the carbs is "normal".

As to other possibilities:
The throttle rods can be eliminated as a source as these are newly
rebuilt carbs by a respected carb rebuilder and were checked for fit
by club members. The crossover tube has been eliminated as a source
because the rubber connections are brand new and I have them
connected with hose clamps!  Over kill, I know - but I attached them
that way in order to eliminate that source as a reason why my PG is
kicking when coming to a slow stop. In addition, spraying carb
cleaner on them or the junction to the transmission has no effect on
the rpm.

I really want to eliminate all possibilities before removing the
carbs and doing any filing on the bottoms.

Anything else I'm overlooking?

Stephen U