<VV> Carb base leak

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 18:08:25 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/1/2009 2:56:05 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

Don't  forget all 64 and up carbs have a built in vacuum leak at the
base  of the carb on purpose.

I received this reply to my carb base leak  problem.  I admit that I
don't know a lot ...yet, but I've  never heard this before.  If it's
true, then perhaps the  100-200 rpm increase that I see when I spray
carb cleaner at the  base of the carbs is "normal".

Well, I wouldn't call it a vacuum leak exactly, but yes, at idle, the vapor
 vent is open and it is possible that anything you spray at the carb base
can be  drawn into the venturi above the throttle plate and find its way into
the  engine.
Regards,
Bob Helt
Steps!