<VV> Projects, Time and Money

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 17:59:18 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: HallGrenn at aol.com

Time is the enemy - Until they start passing out those "Round  Tuits",
we
will all be deciding what to do first.

 you guys need more self control!  and better Timing!  and be efficient!

  I watched a small riding mower, sans deck.... engine turned but
wouldn't run... rear wheels were locked up.. for the last 5 months...

Finally last week.. I had time...  all projects done.. no pressing
maintenance,  lady friend  out of town..... time to go for it.

  Towed my trailer to breakfast.   Stopped by on the way home and bought
it for $50  instead of the $125 they asked in Jan...  loaded it, and
was gone in 60 seconds!! ggg

   Got it home, aired tires...   jumped battery...  engine cranked
nicely but no fire...

4 bolts and flywheel cover was off... sheared key!   30 minutes later
it ran...but was flooding...  Same inlet needle as our Rochesters!

20 minutes later I had cleaned the tank  and carb and re-assembled...
Fired right up!

   Welded  shifter handle...Had 2 reverses.. no forwards...  engine
off.. wheels were still locked..  GRR

20 minutes later had the transaxle out...    split.. and found the
thing in 2 gears...  pried the one up to neutral...  and had 3 forwards
/ neutral / reverse...

I could see that the shifter stem/ball has been moved past the detent
on the one fork...  case half for that side had a rollpin...

Stuck finger in gearlube and felt the other one!   Pulled the 1st one
out 1/8"  and drove a ball bearing down it to lock it in place...

Re-assembled case and had all gears...whew!! ggg

At this time a visiting neighbor asked if I wan't going to paint it
before re-installing?  "  Heck no.. I'm not even changing the gearlube.

Two hours later after fighting the brake/clutch  adjustments [ one
pedal!]  I drove it over to his house, where I hooked up a drag and
proceeded to "test it"

The next day I bought a battery for it...a fuel filter, and starter
solenoid.... made a backrest for the seat... and drove it on my trailer
and took it home.

I drug my driveways... and parked it.

Project done!    Total cost  $88...  total  time spent... 5 hours..

 Now if only all " projects" went like this!

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.verizon.net/nalllm