<VV> body needed

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 15:49:41 EDT 2009

Jim wrote:

Is it possible to put a late cp or conv body in a pick up and drive cross
country? By body I mean no interior, doors, suspention, hood, engine cover,
drive train or upholstrey.

Craig replies:

16 foot body on an 8ft bed is a legal no-no. You would likely get a "do not
roll" ticket from the gendarmes. The basic rule that applies in many states
is "no more than 50% of the trucks wheelbase behind the rear axle."  It's a
stability thing. (Tail wagging) There is also a "top heavy" problem with
your proposed load. Clearly, the best (and likely only) way to transport it
efficiently is with a flat bed trailer. If you don't have one or access to
one, buy a used one and sell it when you get through. Note that if you pick
up a new car trailer at the factory, (think $1200) you can sell it as "new"
when you get back for $1500. I know several guys who did just that.