<VV> Taking the First Step, by Rick Stansbury

Lacki, Allan V AVLacki at pplweb.com
Thu Jun 4 09:43:23 EDT 2009

The NECC and SECC are looking for new drivers to sign up for the
Roebling Road time trials. A few years ago, Rick Stansbury asked us to
publish this story about his first experience on the track with NECC. I
think he'd like you to read this:

Taking the First Step, by Rick Stansbury.

I remember several years ago when I heard about the NECC time trial
events. I always had a need for speed, but my first thought was I don't
own a race car.

Other thoughts went through my head like, even if I did own a race car,
I'd probably be eaten up by the veteran drivers. When I get to the track
I'll have so many questions, but no one to answer them. Where do I go
for tech inspection? What if my car fails tech inspection? Where do I
line up when it's time for practice? What group will I be running with?
What, Where, When?!!!

Like FDR said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". So, I
contacted NECC to have some of my questions answered. You mean I don't
have to own a race car? I can run a stock Corvair! I'll be put in a
group with other stock Corvairs! Well then, put me on the mailing list.

At that time, I owned a stock 1965 Corsa turbo. It was a little less
than a month away from the event, so I figured I'd better go over the
car and see what needs to be repaired or replaced.

Being that it was my daily driver, I knew that it was dependable. When
it comes to speed events, dependability should not be your only concern.
Brakes, tires and steering should be on top of the list. Let's not
forget safety equipment. Until 2003 NECC required only a lap belt. I
think it was a good move by NECC to increase safety by requiring a 3
point harness. The only purchase I had to make was a Snell-approved
helmet. After knowing that there was no major work to be done to the
car, I mailed the registration form.

I had an advantage. Previously, I worked in the pits for a local race
team, so I had access to a car trailer. I thought about driving the car
to the event... briefly. If you ask those who drive their car to a speed
event most will tell you that in the back of their mind they are
thinking "this is my transportation home." But I give credit to all
those who drive a thirty plus year old car to an event, put it on the
track and drive it home.

After arriving at the track, I quickly unloaded the car, signed in and
got in line for tech inspection. If the car failed tech at least I'd
have some time to fix it before practice started. Have you ever been
pulled over by the police and you know you did nothing wrong? That was
the feeling I had as the tech inspectors dissected my car. Then came,
"Helmet... press on the brakes... harder... o.k. here's your sticker". I
passed! "Thanks officer, I mean, Charlie." (NECC tech inspector Charlie
Doerge).

After the drivers' meeting, I felt a little more relaxed. That was until
I was on pit lane waiting to go out. My left leg was shaking so much
that I was having a hard time letting the clutch out. A few laps under
yellow helped calm the nerves. The green flag was waved and it only took
a few laps before I realized I was hooked. There was so much track time
that I didn't even run the last practice session.

NECC events make it an easy and inexpensive way to get track time and
have a lot of fun. Rick Stansbury

Richard Alan Stansbury, 42, of Union Hall, Virginia passed away Tuesday,
October 23, 2007 at his home. The Officers, Directors and members of the
Northeast Corvair Council mourn the loss of a friend and fellow racer.
Rick will live on in our memories.

NECC and SECC also remember another great Corvair enthusiast, Steve Poe.
We are running the Roebling Road time trials in memory of Steve this
year. You can sign up for the Roebling Road time trials at the NECC
website. They are being held on Sunday, July 12, 2009. Here is the
address:

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/necc/registration.html

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
us immediately, and delete the original message.