<VV> Pushing up the rear

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 5 13:02:35 EDT 2009

>the rear end of my Corvair is a bit low, ... anybody who has a good idea to push up the rear end?

As several have said, the springs hold up the car, not standard shocks,
although good shocks "may" help with the bottoming situation.  However,
why does everyone want to focus on the coil springs?  They are hard to
change, sorta expensive when shipped, and Arend wasn't complaining about
sagging on one side or the other, just the rear.  Since it is a 1964, as
has been noted, wouldn't it be worth while to check the state of the
rubber bushings on the leaf spring? That's about an inch if they are
missing.  And isn't it probably time to replace those old outer end leaf
spring bolts before one breaks?  Maybe with shorter bolts?  Quick, easy
(sorta, but especially when compared to changing the rear coils), less
expensive, easier to ship, equally as effective as new coils ...

That flat steel bar back there is NOT a "camber compensator"  it is a
spring to make up for those weak rear coils they use to change the roll
issues (along with heavier front springs and the front sway bar)  -- the
rear leaf is there to hold the rear of the car up (without adding to the
roll center height, or something like that).  Shorter bolts and new
bushings will stiffen it up a bit in the back, raising the ride height.

If the 1964 rear leaf is missing or has been removed, please disregard
the previous comments.

Bill Strickland