<VV> Pushing up the rear

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 13:13:19 EDT 2009

Bill,
On the subject of the rear bolts, I had a relatively new one (less  than 3
years old) snap on me last year while driving over some RR tracks  (at about
5MPH, so speed wasn't an issue), so I looked at the snapped bolt (what  was
left of it) after driving no more than 40 ft to a parking lot... the snap
happened one full thread down from the shoulder, and it WAS a Grade 8 bolt.
But looking more closely at it, I could see where it had hit the axle shaft
with  the head of the bolt, rubbing one of the marks off the head. The
original bolts  were domed, like a carriage bolt, only without the square
shoulder under the  head. I ended up purchasing a pair of NOS bolts, and getting
some new bushings.  All is well now... knock on wood....
Later,
Lonzo

In a message dated 6/5/2009 1:03:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

>the rear end of my Corvair is a bit low, ... anybody who  has a good idea
to push up the rear end?

As several have said,  the springs hold up the car, not standard shocks,
although good shocks  "may" help with the bottoming situation.  However,
why does everyone  want to focus on the coil springs?  They are hard to
change, sorta  expensive when shipped, and Arend wasn't complaining about
sagging on one  side or the other, just the rear.  Since it is a 1964, as
has been  noted, wouldn't it be worth while to check the state of the
rubber  bushings on the leaf spring? That's about an inch if they are
missing.  And isn't it probably time to replace those old outer end  leaf
spring bolts before one breaks?  Maybe with shorter bolts?   Quick, easy
(sorta, but especially when compared to changing the rear  coils), less
expensive, easier to ship, equally as effective as new coils  ...

That flat steel bar back there is NOT a "camber compensator"   it is a
spring to make up for those weak rear coils they use to change the  roll
issues (along with heavier front springs and the front sway  bar)  -- the
rear leaf is there to hold the rear of the car up  (without adding to the
roll center height, or something like that).   Shorter bolts and new
bushings will stiffen it up a bit in the back,  raising the ride height.

If the 1964 rear leaf is missing or has been  removed, please disregard
the previous comments.

Bill  Strickland
the  property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to:  VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Change your options:

**************Mortgage rates dropped. Record lows. $200,000 for $1,029/mo
Fixed. LendingTree®
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222627882x1201465404/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.lendingtree.com%2Fborrower%2Falliance%2Ffrom.a
sp%3Fwhereto%3Dpromopagev3%26promo%3D00279%26loan%5Ftype%3D2%26source%3D2889
570%26esourceid%3D2889570%26800num%3D1%2D800%2D289%2D3915%26AdType%3D2)