<VV> Brake adjustment

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 5 23:45:14 EDT 2009

My car sometimes refuses to fully release the brakes after using the
parking brake.  If I drive it with this slight drag on the brakes, it
lets loose  after about ten to fifteen seconds.  I can hear a off and
on rubbing of the shoe and drum on the rear passenger side like it is
out of round.  I have had a complete brake overhaul in the last five
thousand miles, which included wheel cylinders, shoes, flexible
lines, turning of the drums, and a dual master cylinder.  I want to
measure the service brake clearances on all four corners per the '65
manual p. 5-5.  I apparently need to have the "special tool J-21177"
or equivalent in order to check the clearances of the shoes (and the
round of the drum).  After that if there is no improvement, I can
adjust the parking brake and then the push rod to main cylinder.
Where can I find this tool or its equivalent?  I've tried Cal's site
and couldn't find it.

Stephen