<VV> Running oil temp normalcy

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 02:15:28 EDT 2009

	I have an after market temperature gauge that was manufactured to
measure water but has been placed in service on my Monza to measure
oil temperature.  The gauge has no outward indication that it is a
water temp sensor.  The sender is located in the triangular crevice
on the right half block above and to the right of the top of the oil
pan near the skid plate.  I also have a dual CHT with the senders
mounted under spark plugs #'s 3 and 4 and the connections to the lead
to the cabin located in the engine compartment.    I'm experiencing
higher than comfortable oil temperatures (265-270 as indicated by the
gauge) when cruising at 65-70 mph.   It normally operates at about
260-265 after having been driven for twenty to thirty minutes in the
city.   The CHT never got above 250 which I understand could be
90-100 degrees off although a handheld temperature sensor monitoring
the head temp from the wheel well usually reads very close to what is
on the CHT when measured while standing still (of course).
	I took the cover off and blew out the oil cooler (back flushed with
pressurized air) and have just changed the oil (Brad Penn Racing Oil)
and a Mobil 1 filter.  I am running the lower shrouds on because of
the fuel economy issue, but it looks like they will be coming off for
the summer.  The belt is practically new and adjusted so that the
alternator fan can be moved with one finger under pressure.  The
blower bearing is brand new.  The engine seal is in place and in good
condition and I have Seth's plug wires and all fire wall grommets,
plugs and boots are new and in place.  I'm not using synthetic oil
yet as I am within that 5-10 thousand break-in period of allowing the
engine gaskets to seal before attempting to use synthetic to avoid
leaks.  I would like to have some opinions as to why it is running so
hot and if and how that might be dangerous to the life of the engine.

Stephen