<VV> Subject: Out of Group Red - Thanks to all of you - addendum

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 01:07:22 EDT 2009

In my haste, I forgot two more things.  I mention them only because
of vv'ers and local club members who were helpful if not instrumental
in the successful completion of these two repairs.
	I changed the gasket on the transmission pan and straightened out a
dent in the bottom of the pan that had been caused by hitting a high
flying object sometime before I got the car.  For that, I used a
large socket from my wrench collection that approximated the
curvature of the pan where the indentation was.  Then, I flattened
the mounting surface near the bolt holes from the results of over
torquing which probably was my fault.  For that, I used an over size
punch (flat and stiff) and laid the rim of the pan on a 2x4 and used
a large hammer to hit the punch.  Thank you Bob Helt for giving me
the torque specs that were buried in the transmission repair section
of the manual and not where I expected them on the torquing tables in
the back.  I haven't had any leakage since the reinstallation.
	I also replaced a worn out motor mount.  I had a '66-'69 style mount
that was completely caved in.  I replaced it with the correct '65
style mount.  Thank you Jim Becker of NTCA for the mount and Bob Gill
of NTCA for providing a mounting nut when I discovered that the
original mount had a stripped bolt that had chewed up the
accompanying nut.  The original nut got to about 45 ft. lbs. on the
new mount before I noticed that the torque pounds were headed the
other direction at 8:30 in the evening.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum //