<VV> Brakes not releasing

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 19:16:29 EDT 2009

At 03:16 PM 6/7/2009, Stephen Upham wrote:
><snip>
>Has anyone addressed the e-brake Y-cable yet?   It's a popular cause
>for dragging back brakes.   If that cable hasn't been checked out and
>confirmed as to working smoothly and easily, it's a prime suspect.
>
>tony..
>
>Thought of that.  The problem here is that in the '65 service manual
>it states that the service brake needs to be checked before any e-
>brake adjustments are made.

We're not talking about adjusting anything in the e-brake mechanism.

We're talking about the cable sheath sticking to the cable inside
it.   Worry not about any special tool or anything else for the
moment before guaranteeing that the Y-cable itself is free inside its
sheath and is capable of moving smoothly in that sheath.  If it
sticks, the results are obvious.   These cables are notorious for
sticking up and causing the exact issue you describe.

>OK, then why not do that?  I don't have
>the brake resetting tool J-21177 or equivalent.

...don't need it to check the cable.

>I'm trying to locate
>one locally for a reasonable price, but so far have not been
>successful.  Gary Mierzwa has given me a large number of web
>possibilities and unless something locally changes, I'll be going
>that way.

...before making sure the cable itself actually works?    Check that
cable.   It MUST be able to move smoothly or else.

Pop off the rear drums, watch closely as someone applies and releases
the e-brake.   The cable where it exits the sheath as it enters
through the backing plate should move freely and easily.   If it
doesn't, and the cable sticks in the "pull" direction without
releasing and allowing the brake shoes to retract with their own
springs, it's time to flush it out with blaster and work it back and
forth until it DOES move freely, both sides.   Or, find a decent
replacement and swap it out.

tony..