<VV> Brakes not releasing

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 15:54:40 EDT 2009

Maybe I missed something in the details, but there must be tens of
thousands of Corvair owners who also do not have a J-21177 tool and
repair their brakes.  I just adjust the brake shoes until the drum just
slides on. On self adjusting brakes, the final adjustment is made after
all repair are completed, and do several stops while in reverse. One can
always buy a 12" vernier caliper from Harbor Freight to compare shoe
diameter with drum diameter, but I've never done it. I have used the
caliper to check the drum to make sure it is not oversize.

If the rear drums have a slight drag when turning them by hand, then
time is right to adjust the parking brake.

Frank DuVal