<VV> Question about paint systems

DTerry8123 at aol.com DTerry8123 at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 21:06:12 EDT 2009

I'm going to throw a question out to the group. I hope that it doesn't
start a ongoing thread like the valve adjust question.GGG.
The paint on my 65 Corsa (Regal Red) was damaged by someone who was
repairing an engine problem for me. While he had the car, he left it outside and
covered it with a blue tarp.(A big no no in my opinion.) After the repairs
were finished and he pulled the tarp off, the paint on the trunk lid, top
and  rear deck started flaking off in big chunks. One was about the size of a
basketball. It even lifted the primer. He is repainting the damaged panels
for me and we are trying to decide what paint system to use.
The paint on the car is acrylic lacquer. It was painted in 1980 and
overall looks good. It is kept in the garage when not being driven.
He can do it in lacquer at $150./ qt or we also talked about base
coat-clear coat.
My question is what opinions does the group have for the best paint system
to use? And will the base coat-clear coat system blend in with the lacquer?
The  car will be used at least for awhile as a daily driver, having
suffered through  a lay-off and have limited funds.
Thanks,
Dan Terry
Corvair Atlanta
fingertips.