<VV> Question about paint systems

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Fri Jun 19 11:34:40 EDT 2009

Hi Dan, I understnd your situation.....

If you went with an acrylic enamel or another two-stage system, the
resulting finish would be way off, compared to your
existing lacquer finish. It would be very glossy and even the final polished
surface texture is not the same as lacquer.
If you get a good color match in lacquer, you can paint part of, or complete
panels and blend things in pretty well, for now.

As long as you can really still get acrylic lacquer, since lacquer has been
outlawed in many states, that would be your best choice
for spotting-in the affected areas. You will need a compatible lacquer
primer for that, too.

But this would be just until a better time arrives, since the existing paint
job would appear to have some faults of its own,
with it's basic inter-layer adhesion and should not have peeled under a
tarp. An original factory-applied lacquer paint job
would not have reacted that way.

Mel Francis
65 Monza convertible