<VV> Cooling Boosted Corvairs Re: You know your Turbo is working when...

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 15:46:19 EDT 2009

Mike,
     Au contraire, my friend!  Tom K.'s earlier Bonneville Vair (156.9 mph) was tested by Car Life Magazine in 1968.  In an article titled: "Living With the World's Fastest Corvair" , they stated that Keosababian's Corvair achieved 13.39 sec and 105.26 mph in the quarter-mile at Orange County Dragway with a 4 barrel carb, big turbo and water injection.  They also said that he "used it daily on his commute to work".  Sounds like a street car to me!
     Of course you have to vary the water flow to match the load:  idle or low load = no flow, light load = small flow, big load = large flow.  Some of the simpler injection units use boost pressure to move the injection water into the air stream, as did the Olds Jetfire in 1962-63.
     Frank Burkhard