<VV> milky stain

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Wed Jun 24 18:23:18 EDT 2009

All,

I have a problem. I've salvaged some really excellent chrome (aluminum)
trim off a car, and they're almost perfect, except for a milky stain on
them. It looks like some chemical was dribbled over them. Simichrome
doesn't even touch it, and mineral sprits, tar remover, and even brake/carb
cleaner only makes the stain disappear temporarily (until the chemical
dries off). Anyone know how I could get rid of this stain?

Based on your description, the trim is etched (by something acidic), not
stained. You can try buffing with rouge or some other very fine abrasive, or
maybe even clear-coating will smooth it out.

John

-