<VV> Carburettor question(s)

David B. Neale david.neale3 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 25 15:06:01 EDT 2009

My car is a '65 Monza with 140 HP motor. I am currently re-building the
carburettors, both primaries and secondaries.

I am somewhat bemused by the Power Enrichment Needle.  On Page 6M-4 of
the '65 chassis manual, it is shown, rather vaguely, as being inserted
inside the spring against which the accelerator pump pushes.  Looking
down into the well, there appears to be no natural seat for the power
enrichment needle.  It all seems rather odd.

I have a pair of spare primaries from another '65 car, which I know were
is service for a couple of years.  The power enrichment needles are not
present, but the car ran well enough nonetheless.

Would one of you knowledgeable people please advise me regarding just
how that needle seats; and what effect one might experience if the
needles are missing?

Many thanks,

David