<VV> cylinder studs

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 16:46:44 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/25/2009 1:35:33 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com writes:

Okay  guys, refresh my memory -- is it okay to clean up the threads on
head  studs with a die??

Thanks in advance,

Jim  Houston

Hi Jim,
Well maybe......But why would you want to do that? The threads that enter
the crankcase are a very special type of thread and I really doubt that you
have  such a die. And they seldom would require cleaning-up other than just
picking  out the bits of aluminum that might get imbedded. Of course if you
are going to  use a Timesert insert, then you must rethread this end.

On the other side, the threads that accept the head nuts could be
re-threaded, but again why? if it's because of crud and/or worse, rust, then I
doubt that re-threading will increase their integrity. Rust will actually eat
away the threads. So it would be better to replace the studs if badly  rusted.
Regards,
Bob Helt