<VV> Carburettor question(s)

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 17:06:36 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/25/2009 12:06:28 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
david.neale3 at ntlworld.com writes:

I am  somewhat bemused by the Power Enrichment Needle.  On Page 6M-4 of
the  '65 chassis manual, it is shown, rather vaguely, as being inserted
inside  the spring against which the accelerator pump pushes.  Looking
down  into the well, there appears to be no natural seat for the power
enrichment needle.  It all seems rather odd.

I have a pair of  spare primaries from another '65 car, which I know were
is service for a  couple of years.  The power enrichment needles are not
present, but  the car ran well enough nonetheless.

Would one of you knowledgeable  people please advise me regarding just
how that needle seats; and what  effect one might experience if the
needles are missing?

Many  thanks,

hello David,
Well that shop manual diagram is somewhat of an optical "de-lussion." It
isn't very accurate. But you should first know that just because the vertical
 passage for the power enrichment needle is in your carburetor, it  DOESN'T
mean that you have a PES. Many carbs were built with this hole, but  the
pes wasn't completed with the necessary accompanying passagways. But if your
carb really has a working pes, then you will be able to see the seat at the
bottom of the hole for the needle (with a flashlight). To be certain
whether you  have a pes, look for the aluminum plug on the outside of the body
where the  internal restriction was inserted. i don't have a photo of this
handy so  please see the one in my carburetor book.

As to why the PES was installed, Chevy added this enrichment feature in
advance of the total carb re calibration done for 1966 whereby the main jet
was  made leaner and thus provided better A/F ratios for cruise, and richer
mixtures  for power and high speed performance. Some carbs in 1964 ran lean at
high speeds  and the 1965 pes was to prevent that from happening.

As for missing needles, if they are not supposed to be there and are
missing, no problem. If they are supposed to be there and are not, your engine
will run VERY rich under most cruise conditions and give poor misleage.
Regards,
Bob Helt