<VV> Emission vs. Mileage Re: Road test No Corvair

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 15:14:28 EDT 2009

Smitty,
  Don't forget that the earlier cars did not have to meet such stringent emissions that the current cars have to meet.  Our Corvairs, for example, can run with LEANER than stoichiometric (about 14.7:1 A/F ratio) which the narrow band O2 sensors lock the computer control in for cruising on the newer cars.  Our Corvairs can run leaner than that for higher gas mileage cruising if we use electronic fuel injection and a WIDE band O2 sensor to control it.   Then we richen the mix only as necessary for acceleration and power.  The 1960s emission standards were much more lenient than today's requirements.  Modern cars have to be designed FIRST to meet emissions, SECOND for good fuel economy, and LAST for power.
     Frank "CO2 emitter" Burkhard