<VV> Spare Tire

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jun 28 15:47:54 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/28/2009 12:35:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jvjskb at zoominternet.net writes:

I  recently put a set of Cragar SS 14" wheels on my '65 Corsa.  Can I use
one of the old 13" rims and tires as a spare or do I need to find a 14"
wheel  and tire?  My second question is, if I need a 14" tire, will any GM steel
 rim work or should I look for something specific?  Remember this is only
to be used for a SPARE TIRE, so whatever it is, I only need to get to a
station to fix or replace the flat tire.  Thanks for any help you can  give.
John Johnson
65 Corsa Conv   140 4-speed
64 Monza  Conv  110 PG

The only requirement would appear to be smae overall height and able  to
clear any brakes. The 5-bolt Corvair 13" wheel will clear the original drums,
and a few alternates with fins. It might not clear the GM aluminums - which
 should only be used for racing these days. The GM 13" wheel is unlikely to
clear  any disc, unless specially sized. Almost any GM 14" wheel (designed
for  rear-wheel-drive) should clear the Vair. Think  outside diameter.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette