<VV> WHAT'S THE BEST ENGINE OIL?

Arlette Carl arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:14:24 EDT 2009

Hi Guys,

What's the best engine oil for Corvair engines?

Like anyone who is in my age group (I am 57) and has played with cars for most of his/her life. I have tried a variety of engine oils.

In most recent years I have been using Mobile One 100% synthetic oil, believing it's lubricating qualities to be considerably better than other non synthetic engine oils and in the case of the Corvair engine that Mobile One would assist a great deal in helping to reduce engine temperatures.

I have even noticed a few respected Corvair experts recommend the use 100% synthetic engine oil.

That said oils in recent times are now being manufactured (including Mobile One) without an important additive, which I understand is called something like "PPL" but this is probably not the correct name. Hopefully many of you will understand what I am referring to?

My question is, should I continue to use Mobile One in its latest version without this additive? Does the 100% Synthetic feature balance out the removal of this additive? Or should I seek out an older style engine oil?

I understand that in the USA bottles of this additive can be purchased and added to your oil of your choice. In time I expect these "bottles of additive" will become available in Australia, but for the present time I don't believe that they are available.

As basic as this question is, I do believe that is worthy of discussion, even to the point that CORSA might 'recommend' to its membership a type or even brand of oil suitable for Corvair Air Cooled engines. I appreciate this recommendation would need to come with conditions to protect CORSA and that in the end each Corvair owner must accept responsibility for whatever oil he or she uses but I would feel a whole lot better if I had some guidelines to follow.

CORSA as an International Organisation should avoid recommending products that are only available to the USA domestic market, as making these recommendations effectively ignores the needs of its 'overseas' members.

Anyway what's everyone's views. We all have to regularly change oil, so it's an important issue.

Regards from 'down under' in Australia

Carl L. Kelsen

1965 MONZA AIR CONDITIONED RIGHT HAND DRIVE CONVERTIBLE