<VV> Tunnel grommet

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 5 21:31:16 EST 2009

When I got to the front of the tunnel with the harness, I found that
the sending wire for the gas tank would not fit through the grommet
at the front of the tunnel. It had to come out, and since it was
probably original equipment, it didn't come out in one piece. I
looked at the one that a major right coast vendor sells. The part
number is C9533. When I checked the price, it said to check carefully
as there may be problems with it. I looked again and didn't see
anything on the catalog page that indicated if or what the problem
might be. Anyone familiar with this?

Also, since I have the tunnel pan off, I noticed that the cable on
the right side (sheathed) is held up by the front clip and the rear
clip, but not in the center and because of that would be lying on the
top of the bottom pan. It will not fit into the clip at the cross
over (more or less center) as it is recessed a bit and would make the
cable bend at an unusual angle. Is that a concern, ie. should it be
off of the cover or will the tunnel insulator felt take care of any
rattling or friction damage that could occur? Any other suggestions
on improvements that can be made while I have the tunnel pan/cabin
heater duct cover and duct/heater tunnel off? (I think I will replace
the insulator felt C718, the plastic guide for the electrical cable
C6800, and the toe panel cover seals C8405, the rear tunnel grommet
C6583, and the firewall grommet C6583)

Oh, there is also a sort of sponge like material that is wrapped
around the fuel line about midway through the tunnel that I could not
find in the catalog.  Is it a replacement item that I just can't find
or perhaps an idea that my dad got from the Communique?

Thanks,

Stephen